Truckee resident Charles C. Garrison received patent number ‘US798778 A’ for his nut-lock design, September 5th, 1905, permitting a nut to be screwed on a bolt but not unscrewed except by using the tool itself. His patent consists of a pawl, or dog, and a spring that protrudes through the hole in the nut which screws onto the bolt.
The shaped catch fits into a groove extended the entire length of the threaded part, cut the same depth as the threads, on two sides of the bolt. The nut is screwed on the same as an ordinary one, but has to be pressed-in to release the spring.
According to the Sacramento Bee, “The improved nut is not weakened by the spring and dog which is imbedded in the nut, as it is made heavier. The pawl prevents the nut from working loose.”
Garrison’s invention revolutionized old-style nuts and bolts. He first filed for the patent January 28th, 1904.
‘Old Ned’ Hunter, who is standing in front of Cate’s Brothers Auto Garage, in the town of Klamath, in March of 1927. He’s the father of Martin’s Ferry operator, Jim Hunter and Tolowa native, Amelia Brown.
He was raised as an Indian, although his father, “Nigger John” was Black. Old Ned is also a survivor of the Brother Jonathan wreck, where he was serving as a deck hand.
As for Cate’s Brothers, which included an auto park, café and boarding house, it was located at the very end of the Douglas Memorial Bridge. While the original buildings are no longer standing, there is a Cats RV Park owned by the Yurok tribe in about the same location, at the end of Alder Camp Road.
Reno Mayor Dan W. O’Conner was born in Ontario, Canada November 16th, 1837, and came to the states at the age of 12, via the Isthmus of Panama, engaging in mining in Grass Valley, California. He died Monday, November 27th, 1905.
In 1862 he moved to Virginia City, Nevada. About 1864 he settled on a four hundred acre ranch near the present Vista Railroad Station. There, he built a set of buildings and improved the ranch.
O’Connor was one of Nevada’s oldest residents and one of the most respected citizens of Reno. He settled in the city while it was still considered a village and assisted materially in its growth and subsequently erected the O’Connor block.
“He was for years engaged in ranching and owned some of the best ranges in Washoe County. He was a man of wealth. As far as known he had no relatives,” reported the Sacramento Bee,” Mayor O’Connor was elected at the last city election by a large majority, and made one of the best Mayors Reno ever had.”
No known photographs of Mayor O’Connor exist.
The iron tug, Meteor, built-in 1876 at Wilmington, Delaware, by Harlan, Hollingsworth & Co., was then taken apart, shipped by rail to Carson City and hauled by horse teams to Lake Tahoe. The Meteor was owned by D.L Bliss, who launched it in September 1876.
It was propeller driven, eighty feet long and had a ten feet beam, at a cost of $18,000. At full speed she could do 19.5 knots, which is roughly 22 miles-per-hour.
Her initial purpose was to pull logs across Lake Tahoe. However, she ended up entertaining Presidents’ Ulysses S. Grant and Rutherford B. Hayes as well as a host of other dignitaries.
With the highway encircling the lake completed, D.L.’s son, Will Bliss decided to sell the Meteor. Unfortunately, the vessel sat in a dry dock up at Tahoe City falling into disrepair and being vandalized, so Will purchased her back.
He ended up scuttling the boat off-shore from Glenbrook, in August 1940. The Meteor has yet to be found.
While the exact location is not specified, this is a view of the county road was completed by W. T. Bailey in May, 1894. The picture was taken looking south, jus’ north of Wilson Creek as evidenced by the dual sea-stacks of False Klamath Cove.
As a kid and living in Klamath between 1964 and 1979, DeMartin Hill was known as ‘Crescent City Hill.’ If somebody lived in Crescent City, they would have known it as ‘Klamath Hill.’
The U.S. Navy says a pilot died when a U.S. Marine Corps F/A-18C crashed at a training complex east of Naval Air Station Fallon. The crash happened in the late afternoon of March 1st.
After hours of searching in the mountainous terrain, they found the plane. Authorities says the plane was on loan to the Naval Strike and Air Warfare Center for use as a training aircraft, and was performing a training flight when it went down.
The cause of the crash has not been determined. The plane was not carrying any weapons on the training flight.
The name of the pilot is being withheld pending notification of next of kin.