President George W. Bush is not one of my favorite commanders-in-chief. In all honesty, I view him as ‘Progressive,’ as Teddy Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Richard Nixon, Jimmy Carter, his father George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton and Barack Obama.
That being said, there is a Facebook meme being reposted calling ten attacks on U.S. soil overseas jus’ like that which occurred in Benghazi in 2012. In that attack, two contractors, a state department employee and a U.S. Ambassador were killed.
This particular meme is incorrect and the record needs to be straight.
- January 22nd, 2002. Calcutta, India. Gunmen attacks the U.S. Consulate. Five people are killed. None were American.
- June 14th, 2002. Karachi, Pakistan. Suicide bomber attacks the U.S. Consulate, killing 12. None were American.
- February 28th, 2003. Islamabad, Pakistan. Two police officers and a civilian are killed outside the U.S. Consulate. None were American.
- June 30th, 2004. Tashkent, Uzbekistan. No attacks took place on the date listed, however, two Uzbek security guards died in an attack on the U.S. Consulate July 30, 2004. No American’s were killed.
- December 6th, 2004: Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. A U.S. consulate is attacked with explosives and machine guns, killing four security guards. None were American.
- March 2nd, 2006: Karachi, Pakistan. A suicide bomber kills four people, including U.S. diplomat David Foy near the U.S. consulate.
- September 12, 2006: Damascus, Syria. Four terrorists attack the U.S. Embassy killing a Syrian security guard. No Americans were killed.
- March 18th, 2008. Sana’a, Yemen. the U.S. Embassy is attacked by mortar fire, which misses the embassy, but hits a nearby school killing two. None were American.
- July 9th, 2008. Istanbul, Turkey. Four terrorists attack the U.S. Consulate. Six people are killed. None were American.
- September 17th, 2008. Sana’a, Yemen. Terrorists dressed as military officials attack the U.S. Embassy with weapons and two car bombs. Sixteen people are killed, including an American student and her husband. This is the second attack on this embassy in seven months and was immediately called a ‘terrorist attack.’
There are other graphics with lists on the web as well, including a couple listing attacks that never happened, and are being used to show a lack of outrage on the GOP’s part during Bush’s presidency. And while Bush did a number of things wrong, he didn’t lie in order to try and cover up the deaths of four Americans.