The Great White Fleet is the nickname for the U.S. Naval fleet that completed a circumnavigation of the globe from December 16, 1907 to February 22, 1909. President Theodore Roosevelt wanted to demonstrate growing American military power and blue-water navy capability.
The fleet consisted of 16 battleships divided into two squadrons, along with various escorts. The hulls of these ships were painted a stark white, giving the armada its nickname.
The second leg of the voyage was from San Francisco to Puget Sound and back. And as the fleet headed up the north coast of California, they passed Trinidad Lighthouse, jus’ north of Eureka, as shown in a rare photo postcard by J. A. Meiser of San Francisco.
It was mailed on May 29, 1908 to a Miss Alene Fay Seight of Martinez. The text while faint, reads, “Dear Aly Fay, This is for John and Mama at home Trinidad Light house. Love to all, Granma.”